Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Kindergarten

So after reading about MY first day of school, you may be wanting to know how things went for Jonah! Well, he's been asking daily about when the first day of school is and last night asked if "in the morning" it would be "tomorrow" in which, Jason and I replied that yes, in the morning, it will be tomorrow and "tomorrow is the first day of school."

I made Jonah's lunch last night, carefully cutting out his peanut butter and jelly dinosaur sandwiches and packing his pudding cup, not forgetting the spoon! (All kids want pudding in their lunches!) The whole lunch box went into the fridge to keep everything cool for the first day! Jonah had laid out his Batman Dark Knight t-shirt, blue jean shorts, BRAND NEW socks (or as Jason likes to make fun of me about, "sockies"..Jason says that everything I talk about in reference to the kids, I add "ies" to the end, such as sockies, undies, shoesies, etc. I'm a Mom and that's my job!), anyway, new undies, and of course new SKETCHERS shoes! I did make sure to take pictures of his little clothes lay out--which he did all by himself!

And then this morning, he woke up without me even having to try and try and try to get him up for school! He was dressed faster than I've ever seen him do anything and had his backpack on and lunchbox in hand ready to go within 15 minutes! Well, then I informed him that we still had about 30 minutes before it was even time to leave for school and that I still needed to get Baby Girl up and ready for school. I made sure to measure Jonah this morning to see how tall he was on his first day of Kindergarten--OMG--he's getting SO tall!! So he agreed that he had time to watch a little bit of Sandlot 2, which in my opinion is not 1/2 as good as the Sandlot #1! Anyway, we left the house about the same time as we normally do, but when we got to daycare this morning.....only Baby Girl was dropped off. **sad sigh**

Well apparently, I was the only one with any bit of anxiety and nervousness because Baby Girl jumped out of the truck--and by jump I mean jump! She stands on the running board of the truck and asks me to count while I hold her little hand and then she Jumps down--it's become part of our morning routine! Jonah asked to walk Baby Girl into school and I really didn't know what to say. I mean, do I leave him in the truck and let the truck do the "babysitting" or do I attempt to take them both in and risk having Baby Girl cry that her Bubba wasn't staying? So, in my wise parental wisdom, I told Jonah to ask Baby Girl if she wanted him to go in too and she calmly and happily replied yes! So we all 3 walked Baby Girl in and she was her normal self! I had to remind her to give me kisses and hugs and she told her Bubba to "have good furs day cool Bubba!"

So Jonah and I headed out to Kindergarten. I asked Jonah several times, if he REALLY wanted to start school today because his Mommy was perfectly fine with him staying at daycare, but NO, he insisted that "big kid school" was where he needed to be now. So we got to school early and the doors hadn't even opened for school to start yet, and I was hoping to have Jonah there in time for breakfast so he'd get a good start to Kindergarten! The front doors of the school were promptly opened at 7:15 and herds of kids and parents headed in to school. We, Pre-K and Kindergartners were instructed to go to the cafeteria and we saw Mr. Potato Head sitting at the head of one of the little tables along with Mr. Wayne welcoming us all on the first day of school! He, Mr. Wayne, did reassure that things would be fine like I mentioned in my last blog, and he WAS reassuring me and not Jonah, so that made me feel a bit better! I informed Mr. Wayne that I would be picking Jonah up after school today and then Jonah's daycare would be picking him up after that....he appeared very "on top of his game" with all these kids! I was impressed!

[Side note: That cafeteria was crowded with parents and kids, older kids and younger kids, cameras flashing, video cameras rolling, school supplies being carried in, noisy and chaotic! Just the way I remember school being!]

AND--last night Jonah was talking about his friend Jonathon and Anthony and how he missed them at daycare and wondered where they had gone or where they would be going to school. I told Jonah, I'm sure the same thing my Dad would tell me, "you never know, have faith, and maybe you'll see Jonathon and Anthony at your school sometime!" Well, wouldn't you know it? When we walked into school this morning, Jonah saw Jonathon and Anthony in the office (not in a bad way, but getting paperwork and stuff.) Jonah told them hi and we proceeded to the cafeteria. (I have no idea how old Jonathon and Anthony are so I don't know what grades they are in.) Well, after we sat down, I saw Jonathon and Anthony walking over to where we were sitting and then sitting down at the same table as Jonah! They were in his class with Mr. Wayne too! And this is FAITH in a kid's eyes!

Well, I stayed with Jonah until the first bell rang at 7:40am and by then, the cafeteria was mostly cleared out with all the teachers leading their kids to class. I apologized to Jonah because I hadn't given him anything for breakfast on his first day of school, but then I saw Mr. Wayne walk over to the "serving line" of the cafeteria and pick up 2 insulated bags with juice and breakfast food in it, I'm assuming. So I told Jonah that he would probably be eating in his classroom. Mr. Wayne asked that all the kids, and kids ONLY follow him to their classroom and informed all the parentals that it was time to say our good-byes and NOT to follow them to their classroom! Well, I asked Jonah one last time if he wanted me to stay ALL day with him because I was willing and ready to call in sick today to stay with him all day! But, much to my disappointment, he reassured me, that he did NOT want me there at school with him all day and that he was going to school by himself! Well, if that didn't completely break my little first time Kindergartner Mom's heart!!! So I took more pictures and watched as the little line of kids walked slowly down the long hall and turn the corner to their class......my baby was gone and on his own!

I did struggle to hold back my tears as I was walking out of the school, all the while, watching to make sure other parents were crying too to make myself feel better--but there were NONE, NADA, NO OTHER PARENTS CRYING--there I mean, so I contained myself until I left the building where I couldn't hold back my tears any more and began crying......tear, tear. (It was a little after 8am by this time and yes, I start work at 7:30, but luckily I have the best boss in the world!!) I returned Jason's call when I got to the truck--he left me a message not necessarily asking how Jonah had done being dropped off but more how I was holding up calling me a big "softy!" So I called him back sobbing and he made feel a little better, but then HAD to call my Mom and Dad. I called my Mom knowing that she was probably in class already (she teaches school) and I left her a half crying message about how our first day had gone. And then I called my Dad who, as always, made me laugh and reminded me how much of a big boy Jonah was and I felt tons better!

So what are my plans now you might be asking? Well, Jonah gets out of school at 2:45 this afternoon and I'm taking the afternoon off to go pick him up and leaving at 1:30! So I figure that will give me plenty of time to go home, get my binoculars and go sit at Jonah's school to stalk him! I'm sure every good mother would do the same thing so don't think I'm over protective or anything! gosh.....Well, I better go for now because I have spent my whole work day, well the majority of it anyway, blogging and informing you all of our, I mean Jonah's first morning of Kindergarten! So until later when I find out about Jonah's day....happy reading and keep Jonah, I mean me in your prayers this week!

No comments: