Well, today is the day before school starts for Jonah and I'm supposed to be working, I mean AM working if my boss is asking! So as I sit in front of my computer, I'm thinking about how anxious and nervous I am about Kindergarten.....I mean, how Jonah must be feeling. So, let me back up to Kindergarten orientation that we went to last week!
Last Tuesday, the kids and I went to pick up baseball tickets cause we're going to a minor league baseball game and had a gift certificate for 4 free tickets--woo-hoo as per Jason! So, while we were getting baseball tickets, Jason called and said that Jonah's teacher called, Mr. Wayne, to remind us of orientation and to have Jonah bring all his school supplies to orientation so he doesn't have so much to carry on the first day of school! Well, I informed Jonah that his teacher had called and that his teacher's name was "Mr. Wayne." And what did Jonah ask? "Like Batman?" I hadn't really been thinking super hero, but if that's what Jonah wanted to think about his first teacher--who was I to change his thinking!
When Friday finally came last week, I think Jonah thought Friday would never come last week, we went to Kindergarten orientation at Berkman Elementary. (They are the Berkman Bees--how cute is that!?) Jonah had all of his school supplies as well as paper plates, brown lunch bags and Kleenex boxes! His Spiderman backpack looks humongous on his little back, but that's the one he wanted and from what I understand, all Kindergartners should appear 5 sizes too small in their backpacks. And of course, Baby Girl had her Abby Cadabby backpack on as well because "she go cool too with Bubba!" (EEEKK--haven't mentioned that she wasn't starting school right now, but she does believe she can do pretty much anything Jonah can do! We'll tackle that road tomorrow.)
So back to orientation, the principle introduced herself along with the assistant principle, the teachers, school nurse and librarian--all in English as well as Spanish--and all I kept thinking was maybe Jonah will pick up on some Spanish at school! I made sure to remind Jonah not to be too disappointed if Mr. Wayne wasn't in his Batman outfit....I mean, he is after all in "disguise!" So after a few announcements, we all herded to the classrooms where we got to meet Mr. Wayne in person! Mr. Wayne has been teaching for 32 years and appears to be pretty well suited to Kindergartners so I'm anticipating Jonah learning lots! Mr. Wayne informed us, all the parents, that Kindergarten has changed since we were first starting school because now, they are required to take tests and will know how to read small words and write sentences in phonetics! It sounded like Jonah's class is very "hand-on" so Jonah will be making an Indian village, hatching and raising baby chickies and learning about the Earth! Sounds like fun to me! :o) Mr. Wayne also has a website so that we, parents, family, friends can log on and see our kiddos in action! [Let me know if you want the website and I will give it to you--don't want to put it on the blog for security reasons.] Anyway, now that the probation officer in me has passed....I'm excited to be in Mr. Wayne's class--I mean that Jonah is in Mr. Wayne's class!
We had to go do some clothes and shoes shopping this past weekend and Jonah had to have Sketchers Airaters--I dunno, some kind of shoe that blows air into your toes when you step on the heel, I think I saw a commercial for it but I'm not sure! And since Jonah was getting new shoes, Baby Girl believed that she too, needed new "cool shoes" (school shoes) and sandals so she got Princess ones that light up so I can find her in the dark if she has her shoes on! In fact, we found Jonah's shoes and then went in search of Requay's shoes and she felt the need to try on just about every shoe that was within her little reach! So she was trying on, sandals, rain boots, tennis shoes, jelly shoes, any and all, even the ones that DIDN'T fit her! I guess she figured that as long as her little toes fit, they were her size! Jonah got some new undies and socks for school and we found some nice shirts and pants for him too--not at the same store as the shoes though.
So tomorrow (or tonight rather), I will be packing a lunch for Jonah which will include dinosaur shaped peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, white Cheetos, cheese stick, apples, chocolate chip cookies and juice and pack all of that in his new Dark Knight Batman lunchbox. Oh and I forgot....we already have homework for this week! HOMEWORK! In Kindergarten....can you believe? So we'll be practicing writing Jonah's name and tying shoes tonight...wish us luck!
I better go for now, so happy reading. I'll try to post some more tomorrow, after the 1st day of school so you can check to see how I'm, I mean Jonah, did! Say a little prayer for all of us!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've been wondering what to make for Katy's lunch and now I know! She LOVES the dinosaur sandwich cutter!!
Post a Comment